The annual face-to-face Spring Meeting of the ASCA Board of Directors is scheduled for Thursday, April 4th; Friday, April 5th; and Saturday, April 6th, 2019.
It will be held in Bryan, Texas, at the ASCA Business Office.
This agenda is not final and items may be added until 5 days before the meeting.
ASCA Board of Directors Spring Meeting Agenda
Thursday, April 4, 2019
9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, with an hour break for lunch.
1. Last Month’s Email Business – Due to the requirements of Washington State Law, all legal business of ASCA must be conducted via face-to-face meetings or telephone conference call meetings. To meet this requirement and continue to conduct business via e-mail, each face-to-face meeting or conference call meeting should open with a motion to ratify all business conducted via e-mail since the last face-to-face meeting or conference call meeting.
2. Revisit Norms – A “norm” is a principle of right action binding upon the members of a group and serving to guide, control, or regulate proper and acceptable behavior. At each face-to-face meeting, the Board reviews their agreed upon norms, revises them, if necessary, and renews commitment to upholding them.
3. Meeting with Business Office Staff – The Board will meet with the Office Staff to hear updates, questions, and concerns.
4. Meeting with Business Office Manager – The Board will meet with the Office Manager to hear an update on the state of the Office.
a. Opportunity for Board to go through the DNA process/view database with Office Manager.
5. Approval of 2019 Ballot – The Board will review and approve the ballot, which goes out to the membership in May. This year’s ballot will cover the Board election and a Bylaws question.
6. System Liaison’s Report – The System Liaison (Vest) will report on the ongoing progress of the computer system upgrade and give an update on overall technology plans.
7. Travel Expenses to National Specialty – The Board will vote for which Committee Chairs and/or other personnel ASCA shall pay travel expenses to the National Specialty.
8. Updating the ASCA Judges List – There have been many requests from the membership to update the ASCA Judges List on the Website. The Board will discuss ways to get this done.
9. Treasurer’s Report – This report is compiled to present to the Treasurer (Roberts) and the Board ASCA’s current fiscal condition and projections for the future. This report is a confidential document and shall not be distributed electronically without alteration.
a. Report from Chase Business Banker
b. Report from Raymond James Investment Banker
10. Meeting with Website Support Team from Inventive Group, Inc. at 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM.
11. Meeting with Auditor from Ingram, Wallis & Co. at 2:00 PM – 2:30 PM.
12. Renewal/Appointment of Committee Members – The Board will vote to renew Committee Member terms and appoint new Committee Members. (Liaisons)
13. Lifetime Achievement Award – The Board will discuss and vote on the History Committee’s nomination for the 2019 ASCA Lifetime Achievement Award. (Liaison Gray)
Friday, April 5, 2019
9:00 am – 5:00 pm, with an hour break for lunch.
14. Continuation of Any Unfinished Items from Thursday’s Meeting – The Board will handle any scheduled business that was not finished during the first day of the meeting.
15. Strategic Plan – Each year on September 1st the 2nd VP (King) is to send out a notification to the Board and all standing committees to evaluate the current Strategic Plan and advise the Board of possible changes and/or eliminations or additions to the Strategic Plan for their program (Committees) or ASCA as a whole (Board of Directors). Possible changes/additions/deletions are to be sent to the Board through the Executive Secretary no later than December 31st. After initial review of the responses the Board then sends them to the Strategic Planning Committee (SPC) via its liaison (President of ASCA). The SPC prepares a draft of the updated Strategic Plan to be sent back to the Board no later than February 28th. The Board discusses and adopts the new Strategic Plan at its Spring Meeting.
16. Conflict Letters and Member/Judge Files – The Board will discuss (with Counsel present) two sections (10.5 and 10.7) in the Policy Book that relate to the filing of conflict letters and member/judge files.
17. Transfer from Junior to Full Membership Status – The Board will discuss (with Counsel present) the process of transferring ASCA membership from Junior to Full status.
18. Therion – The Board has set aside time (if needed) to discuss ASCA’s relationship with Therion, our DNA lab in the United States.
19. Search for Legal Counsel – The Board will continue the search for new legal counsel.
20. Employee Reviews – Each year the Board reviews all of ASCA’s Employees and votes on pay raises for the year.
ASCA Foundation Meeting
1. Foundation Treasurer’s Report – This report is compiled to present to the Treasurer and the Board the ASCA Foundation’s current fiscal condition and projections for the future.
a. Status of Donations and Disbursements
Saturday, April 6, 2019
9:00 am – 12:00 pm.
21. Continuation of Any Unfinished Items from Friday’s Meeting – The Board will handle any scheduled business that was not finished during the second day of the meeting.
22. 2019 Finals Budget – The Board will review and approve the budget for the 2019 ASCA Finals in Bakersfield, California.
23. Determine 2019 Nationals Board Meeting Schedule – The Board will attempt to plan which days/times they will meet at the 2019 Nationals in Bakersfield, California.
24. Old Business
25. New Business
26. Comments, Announcements, and Other Business
A recording of the open session of this meeting will be available on the ASCA Website and YouTube Channel soon after the meeting’s conclusion.